Our History Historical

WE ARE ACTIVE IN 72 COUNTRIES ACROSS 5 CONTINENTS

Born out of the Order of Our Lady of Charity founded by St. John Eudes in 1641, the congregation of the Good Shepherd and Our Lady of Charity reunited into one congregation called “Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd” in 2014. Present in 72 countries across 5 continents, it particularly addresses women and children harmed by the circumstances in their lives and living at the margins of society. It guides disadvantaged persons and collaborates with other humanitarian groups to improve and change the structures that undermine human rights, especially women’s and children’s rights.

Since 1893, the Good Shepherd Sisters have been present in the Middle East, in Lebanon and in Syria. They are devoted to the protection and defense of the rights of women, children, and families living in difficult situations such as poverty, violence, and injustice, without discriminating on the basis of race, color, nationality or religion.
EVERY PERSON HAS THE RIGHT TO DIGNITY, EDUCATION
AND A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE
The GSS guide those who are underprivileged and collaborate with other humanitarian groups to improve and change the structures that undermine human rights.

EVERY PERSON HAS THE RIGHT TO DIGNITY, EDUCATION AND A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE

The first sisters arrived in Lebanon in May 1893. They began their mission with very little means and opened their first home in Hammana in 1895.

In 1935, they established another home in Dekwaneh, near the capital Beirut.

There, they carried out several programs:
  • A shelter for children in danger;
  • Assistance for mothers and women in difficult situations;
  • Visits to women in prison.

AGAINST ALL ODDS, WE SET UP CENTERS IN STRATEGIC REGIONS

WE GUIDE AND SUPPORT VULNERABLE FAMILIES

During the 1975 civil war, the GSS was forced to relocate due to increasing armed conflict in the area; but through their determination and persistence, they managed to fulfill their mission by creating new centers and structures in other regions.

PROVINCIALATE

Founded in 1969 in Mount Lebanon region, the current-day Provincialate served as a shelter for children and civilians in 1973 and during the civil war. Since 1990, this convent has become the Provincialate of the Good Shepherd Sisters in Lebanon and Syria. It is a place of learning, reflection, training, and planning. The sisters residing there work in different ministries to help refugees, young women, and families. The Provincialate receives sisters from the entire province for meetings and organizes workshops for the congregation.

MISSION DEVELOPMENT OFFICE

With the support of the Good Shepherd International Foundation (GSIF), the Mission Development Office (MDO) was founded in 2011. It serves as a complementary office of support and assistance to the projects of the GSS and their collaborators in Lebanon and Syria. Its mission is to help and support the different missions of the congregation by enhancing communication and fundraising in order to target and impact a larger public, women and children of disadvantaged communities in particular.


+ Read more
YOUR DONATIONS WILL MAKE A
DIFFERENCE IN THEIR LIVES
Over 125 years in the fight against injustice, violence and poverty in Lebanon and in Syria.
The congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd (commonly known as Sisters of the Good Shepherd) is an international Catholic congregation founded in 1835. Active in 72 countries, the Good Shepherd Sisters have the status of an international NGO recognized by the ECOSOC.

       
The Good Shepherd Sisters
Antoine YAZBEK building, 1st floor
La Sagesse street
Jdeideh el Metn
+96171769608
info@goodshepherdsisters.me
Newsletter
 
Follow us
Copyright 2019 Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd. All rights reserved. | Privacy policy | Terms and conditions
Powered by Digital ITS